Thursday, July 26, 2007

Girl Rock Can Save the World #2

A Short List of Reasons (On a Much Longer List) Of Why St. Vincent's Marry Me Is Great


1) There are some decidedly non-melodic guitar riffs at the end of the first song, “Now Now”, that remind me of similar guitar riffs at the end of Wilco’s “I Am Trying to Break Your Heart”. Reminding me of that song is never, ever a bad thing.
2) The words and the way she starts to deliver the line, “While Jesus is saving, I’m spending all my days in the backgrounds and landscapes and languages of saints,” in the song “Jesus Saves, I Spend” that is (to my ears) a clear homage to the way Patti Smith sings, “Jesus died for somebody’s sins, but not mine,” at the beginning of “Gloria”.

3) The refrain of “Now Now” is a group of childlike voices repeating, “You don’t mean that, say you’re sorry,” which are instantly rebuffed by Annie Clark’s deathly serious “I’ll make you sorry.”

4) “Your Lips Are Red” starts off sounding like The Knife and Liars fucking.
5) Her disheveled appearance on the cover does absolutely nothing to prepare you for her cool, refined sound.
6) The entirety of the song “Human Racing” makes me giddy.
7) She has the balls to reference Mad Magazine. (“What, Me Worry?”)
8) Her “Dear John” approach to the title track makes me think (hope) that she’s actually asking me (please?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

technically this isn't on Marry Me, but the fact that she covers nico makes her pretty ballsy.

this is footage someone took at her Atlanta show.

I think it was the large woman in mom shorts who kept getting in everyone's way, but I kind of forgive her for letting me see this again and again.